Reducing fuel consumption starts with tracking
Fuel is one of the largest ongoing costs for a fleet, in a survey by Ia Ara Aoteroa, 64% of businesses said fuel costs account for more than a quarter of their business costs. Fuel economy is vital. But you can’t change what you don’t measure.
Tracking and manging fuel usage can generate huge savings for your business. Speed, excess idling, vehicle maintenance and route choices all have an impact on the total cost of your fleet’s fuel bill.
- Link your fuel cards to EROAD’s Fuel Management solution to unlock fuel spend and usage reporting
- Identify your safest and most efficient drivers using EROAD’s Leaderboard
- Spot trends and manage inefficient usage with overspeed and idle reports
- Build knowledge of your fleet’s efficiency with understandable metrics such as engine running hours, or heavy truck fuel consumption by litres per 100km
- See how vehicle fuel consumption is impacting your business in terms of emissions and dollar value using EROAD’s Sustainability Module
“EROAD is critical in assisting us to monitor our fleet, to improve driver behaviour to reduce risk, and to inform the development of our safety programmes. This year we have extended this to sustainability and have used EROAD to drive our Idling Reduction programme to reduce emissions and save on fuel.” Barry Bignell, Executive General Manager, Zero Harm, Downer New Zealand
6.2% less fuel used by drivers who consistently achieved 4 or 5 stars
on EROAD’s Leaderboard in FY22
Coaching for more efficient driver behaviour
The people who drive your vehicles have a big impact on your fleet’s overall fuel efficiency and emissions. Vehicle tracking solutions empower you to have better coaching conversations with your drivers. Tools like the EROAD Leaderboard help to incentivise eco-driving too.
Incentivise and reward efficient driving based on insights like how many litres of fuel per kilometre they use
- Provide in-vehicle coaching with a driver-facing screen
- Investigate journeys and get the details for any harsh driving events
- Add dashcams to enhance driver coaching with high definition footage
“We are very big on using EROAD to monitor and manage driver speed. If you have a driver travelling at 10km faster than the posted speed limit – which is easily done – they’re going to be using more fuel, and risking safety.” Paul Farnan, National Operations Manager, Refrigafreighters
Supporting transparent sustainability and emissions reporting
In January 2023, New Zealand brought in mandatory climate related disclosures. The law requires certain companies, including large publicly listed companies to provide an enhanced level of reporting on their sustainability performance.
Businesses with a fleet of vehicles are increasingly looking for support to accurately report on emissions, and demonstrate improvement. 83%* of large fleets say customers are asking them to provide sustainability performance information in contract negotiations.
To remain competitive, businesses need sustainability metrics. EROAD’s decarbonisation toolset provides the ability to:
- Understand your fleet’s total emissions and emissions intensity against your industry with AI benchmarking
- Demonstrate improvement, even as your business grows, with fleet emissions intensity
- Analyse idling and overspeed trends that contribute to higher fuel consumption
- Group CO2 emissions, for example light fleet versus heavy truck emissions
*EROAD Sustainability Survey 2023, conducted between June – July 2023 across 1266 fleet professionals.
Planning for vehicle replacement and transitioning to low emission models
Decarbonising transport is high on the global sustainability agenda. The New Zealand government has a goal to reduce transport emissions by 41% by 2035. It has also set targets for all new cars to be low or zero emissions by 2035, and to reduce emissions from freight by 35%.
Do you have a plan for how you’ll transition your fleet to low or zero emission vehicles? EROAD’s fleet management system provides insights and recommendations for transitioning to, and managing, a low emissions fleet.
- Get recommendations on which vehicles are good electric vehicle candidates
- See which vehicles have the highest emissions intensity in your fleet
- Determine whether to grow or reduce your fleet with utilisation reporting
- Maximise uptime with real-time stateof charge for heavy EVs on the Fleet Map
EROAD’s free web-based emissions calculator
In 2023, EROAD, in collaboration with EECA (the Energy Efficiency & Conservation Authority), launched a free web-based vehicle emissions calculator tailored for New Zealand fleets.